Thursday, August 15, 2019

Race 2

Two for two. A win for a number of unusual reasons. I felt like a flier, good legs, and full of java. I desperately wanted to avoid peaks in covering attacks or worse, a slow twenty minutes of drafting before a big sprint.



It was a small field with no big names that I saw. So, I decided I would go out hard. Lea Milleu came with me and helped in the first two minutes. I did 300 watts for those first two minutes. From a field of 16 or 20, we gapped a group of 8 riders. It was only 5-7 seconds at first, but it would go up about 15 seconds in that first of six laps. From there, I pushed hard especially on the kick before the sprint line. I hoped that I would build a gap of a minute and the chase would slow. I think we all kept the pace going. Two against eight is a tough call. Mostly, Lea stopped working with me and let me force the pace. (Which I was happy to do. At least I would get a second to add to my previous win.)

We added about 15 seconds a lap which is good. Going into the last lap with a minute and a half, I slowed to catch my breath for the sprint finish. I wanted to pop off right before the hill but I went just a tad early and was hurting bad on the hill. I was flailing a bit at the crest but knew I could hold the gap to the line. Only after the finish did I realize she didn't cross the line. I wonder if she dropped her chain as she finished two minutes later in fifth after such a long battle. I was afraid she might tear off real early and I was too tired for a kilometer chase. So for me, an early attack seemed best, even if I lost. Maybe Lea will want a rematch. She's certainly earned it.

I mostly want to do a time trial so I can see how my times compare to the A list (Baldi, Whitelaw, and all the big names.) But, I can't complain a bit today.

No comments:

Post a Comment