Saturday, June 27, 2020

First Win!

I actually won a race. Of course, I've won several other races, big ones included, but this was a mixed race, or rather, I was the only girl among the guys. I thought I would be super proud but I am more of a bit surprised. It still hasn't sunk in yet, winning out of a field of 23. Most of the race was spent worrying that I would get dropped. I barely stayed on the tail at the opening gun. The only place I did good was on the second half of the hill, I would surge to the front and cross the prime line first.

I also had a time trial win but you don't know until its over as it wasn't a side by side time trial. So, knowing there was a 'leader' named "age 6" was off the front at almost 6 w/kg meant that our pack of ten were fighting for the sprint win. I couldn't afford to wait too long. Someone jumped at 600 or 700 to go and I knew that was too early. They faded and I passed them with 200 to go. I kept my power over 600 until I hit the line. I didn't want to get sniped at the line by coasting too early. In fact, I did 10 w/kg for 15 seconds. That's good for end of twenty minutes of racing. The pace wasn't as bad as some other races, thanks to not having any A's in the mix. All I can say is "Finally". This was what we tried to do at Team Fearless when it first started. But, the administrators went a different direction.

Looking at Sunday's race (which this was suppose to be prep for) I don't worry about how I will finish. I got this in the bag and that's better than finishing 6th in a six week major event race. I'll still give it my best shot. But today was 8 laps of Crit City and that is just over the 20 minute mark. Perfect. I will always remember this win.

No comments:

Post a Comment