Monday, July 25, 2022

Has Zee retired?

      It looks like I have retired from racing. What happened to Zee? Well, I don't see a lot of the old racers anymore. It was definitely more fun going head to head with people I knew and faced in several series. I have just gotten to an age where I can't train like I use to. My power has faded in the last six months. I fear doing a ftp test. I won't be up in the top for the next Academy. While that's not all that bad, to go from nearly making the top ten selection to also ran is very tough mentally. 

     What then is my legacy? I've had good number of QOM's but most have faded. It isn't a realistic view when it comes to Strava records, way too many fake times. The qom's I have left were z-power before I got my power meter in 2017. I held some for five years. A pro race on Richmond's Cobbled Climbs beat my long-standing record by nine seconds. (Still the fastest time trial on record if there was a category for that. ) My 22 second climb on Richmond eclipsed,still top three though. My London record beaten by one second after many years. Another record was 'beaten' by a trainer that read 400 watts the entire time. 

     I'm proud of my accomplishments. I have my 5th place in the European Championship Series. I have my National title. I was elated to win the Zwift Time Trial Championship with a time that was a minute faster than I ever expected; a perfect race with great legs.

     I still enjoy Zwifting. A good number on Zwift still recognize me and say hello when I go by. I haven't written a Zwift Insider article for a long time now. My Zwift group, ZwiftOff has gotten lost with so many other groups. I applaud them rather than compete against them. I finally shed a few pounds myself but I did loose strength as well, sadly. 

     Thanks to my readers. I hope you enjoyed some insights to a racer. The days before the pros showed up were like the cowboys of the old wild west. I look forward to new expansions and ride for fun series. At least I knew my days would at some point be 'the good old days.' I held onto them as long as I could. Here's to great memories. And don't worry, I'll always be around Zwift.

No comments:

Post a Comment