Monday, February 24, 2020

Nationals 2020

Okay so I'm writing out of a bit of boredom and frustration. I have trained for a fictional event on a fictional island without knowing the course, the distance or the date. Hoping for an announcement of some sort tomorrow but I don't put much stock in rumors.

It's almost March and we have passed the former Feb 23rd race day. In fact, it has been two years since I took the national title for Switzerland. Since I haven't been able to get back, I can only compete in the USA race this year according to the rules. However, racing at that time may prove difficult. Last year I finished 18th best time. This year my only goal is to try to hang with the front group for as long as I can. With all sorts of pros added in now, it is super hard to stick with the leaders on the hill. When I do, I'm falling off after going over the crest.

I don't think the figure 8 course is right for Nationals. Richmond is the best or, if it has to be Watopia, then use Three Sisters course. It has to have a long climb to sift out the riders so as not to have two dozen riders fighting out for the sprint win. In that case, the best sprinter with an aero power-up will win. The rumor is that the UCI wants the race to be only an hour long. Last year's race was almost an hour and a half. (well, it was for me.) Cut the power-ups off already. For me, a sprint finish is great. For race coverage, it isn't a very interesting race to watch.

I'm hungry for a big race. I'm in peak shape. Just give me a date to focus on already.

EDIT: Nationals didn't get scheduled until December 5 with a slightly shorter course. They went by very relaxed rules this year so I was able to race for Switzerland and not have to do the USA event, where the pros took over. The announcement was late as usual but I carried over enough form from the Academy to hit a winning note.

No comments:

Post a Comment